Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?

Ben Konrath wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-15-03 at 09:14 +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
>

>>An easier way would be to just buy a Y10,000 used computer, put in a
>>Y7,000 DVD drive and then set it to play Region-1.  The firmware of a
>>DVD drive sold in Japan will start on Region-2 (I think), but putting in
>>a Region-1 disk allows you to change regions.
>>

>You don't even have to do that - libdvdcss2 or libdvdread3 (not sure which
>one is responsible for this) don't obey the region codes. This has allowed me
>to use the laptop that I bought at Yotobashi Camera to play dvds that I
>rented  in Canada. Yay!

Have you tried going back and forth from Region-1 to Region-2 with it?
My understanding is that since the firmware is what allows the switch,
isn't that software independent?  Or is that firmware issue software
induced?  I hope it *is* software induced, as then I'll not have to use
two computers to handle both regions!