Re: [tlug] Laptop and Coffee

Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My gf made it somehow that coffe dripped on her laptop. The laptop
> runs but the keyboard is doing strange things. When the laptop starts
> it beeps very often and when you try to type it recognizes most of the
> letters not or it does things like this example:
> Type 2 and you get "2rfx,5" and then it types 5 without an end.
> Do you think that it can be repaired just with cleaning all the keys
> (not every key has coffee on it but nearly every key doesn't do what
> it should), does she "only" need a new keyboard or can we trash it?
>
> Guesses please
>
> Niels

Once the machine is back to normal - you might want to consider getting
one of those soft covers that fits over the keys.  Personally, I find
the touch strange and not very good for touch typing, but I've seen
people who have used them with no complaint and - with such a cover - a
few drops of coffee on it now and then will not faze the machine (so
long as it's not so much that it leaks around the edges!).