Re: [tlug] Printing Japanese

>>>>> "patrick" == patrick  <patrick@example.com> writes:

    patrick> I need to use this print out addresses on to a $BEA(B
Ʊ, i
    patrick> thought i could just use a perl template module and send
    patrick> it straight to the printer.

Hah!  Welcome to the wild and wacky land of Japanese software.

    patrick> But unless that is possible with LPRng then i am going to
    patrick> have to learn all about postscript and write something of
    patrick> my own to generate a ps file.

Unless you really want to learn Postscript, you really don't want to
learn Postscript.

    patrick> Anyway, i am getting a bit carried away here... but if
    patrick> anyone has any experience with japanese text formatting
    patrick> and printing with either cups or LPRng, then i would love
    patrick> to hear from you.

I usually use something like this:

cat > tmp.tex << EOT
\documentstyle[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\begin{document}
% add spacing to taste
EOT
cat >> tmp.tex one-address-lines-terminated-with-double-reverse-solidus.tex
cat >> tmp.tex << EOT
\end{document}
EOT
platex tmp
dvips tmp

You need ptex and the Japanese version of dvipsk installed.  There are
other ways to accomplish something similar.  The basic idea is to let
something smart take care of the font accounting, which is usually
non-trivial in postscript.