Re: [tlug] Printing Japanese

> I'm no expert, but just two things to check:
> Do you have JAPANESE_PS=YES in /var/spool/lpd/XXX/postscript.cfg ?
> Is the file in EUC?

Thanks for the tips,
It seems as though JAPANESE_PS=YES is an LPRng option, not for cups
which is what i am using... that may change.

And the file i was trying to print was in utf8. I changed it to euc and
got some output... nothing pretty but it was a step in the right
direction.

Anyway in the end i finally worked out what you need to do.

a2psj -p  -nh -nt -nn -ns eucfile.txt | lp

a2psj is a perl script with the most cryptic help i have ever seen.
My floor is covered with paper as i had to try almost every flag before
i got it right.

a2psj is not only environmentally unfriendly it is also has very few
formatting options. It creates quite a large border as well.

I need to use this print out addresses on to a 伝票, i thought i could
just use a perl template module and send it straight to the printer.
But unless that is possible with LPRng then i am going to have to learn
all about postscript and write something of my own to generate a ps
file.

Anyway, i am getting a bit carried away here... but if anyone has any
experience with japanese text formatting and printing with either cups
or LPRng, then i would love to hear from you.

Patrick