[tlug] DVD Drive

I finally bought a DVD-RW drive.  Details as follows:

Buffalo DVM-RDH16FB
Y11,680 (at T-Zone in Akihabara)
DVD+R 16x
DVD+R 5x
DVD+RW 4x
CD-R 48x
CD-RW 24x

Internal buffer memory - 2MB

Minimum hardware requirements:

CPU - P-III 450MHz (P-III 800MHz recommended)
(Video capture feature requires P-III 800MHz or higher)

Memory - 128MB (256MB recommended)

HDD - 5GB or more free space (20GB or more recommended)

Apparently it can use a new type of disk that will store up to 8.5GB
(although the disks were so expensive, I bought a pack of cheap Ricoh
DVD+R disks for Y598.

The above information is what's on the box... now that I've opened it
up, I see on the actual drive itself the following information:

Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation
Made in Philippines

TSST DVD Writable Drive
Model No. TS-H552A
November 2004

 From what the salesman said and from the manufacturing date, it seems
to be a new model that just came out.  Now, for my question:

Have I gone and done a stupid thing by buying new hardware over models
that have been on the shelf longer?  I was thinking that CD-ROM drives
(and DVD?) were pretty standardized and that it should work okay with
SuSE Linux 9.1.  Did I assume correctly, or...?

Lyle