[tlug] Re: DVD Drive

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

> Have I gone and done a stupid thing by buying new hardware over models
> that have been on the shelf longer?  I was thinking that CD-ROM drives
> (and DVD?) were pretty standardized and that it should work okay with
> SuSE Linux 9.1.  Did I assume correctly, or...?

The resulting DVD-Quality varies from drive model to drive model.
The software interface is standardized though, so it shouldn't matter
which model you buy, it will be supported (With exception of newer
features like burning double-layer discs).
I also recently (the day before yesterday) bought a new drive (NEC
ND3500A) which fared quite well in a test by c't magazine.
It replaced an older NEC drive (ND1300A) which recently started to
produce way too many coasters...

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de
German uses a strange mixture of big- and little-endianness: 376 is