Re: [tlug] Laser Printer

Patrick wrote:

>I rang canon who very politely
>told me they do not support linux but gave a url for their bjcups rpms.
>I spent hours googling and basically just going round in circles.

This is possibly inside information - but a friend who is working on
some English language translation jobs for Canon told me that Canon used
to only test their printer/copier/scanner drivers for MS (and MAC I
think) software, but that he has recently been doing work on drivers for
Linux - to the point where the company he works for (an outsourcing
company that Canon runs ragged for dirt cheap while Canon rakes in the
cash) has set up some Linux boxes to test the drivers.  Canon - being a
profitable and leading manufacturer, is an extremely paranoid company
when it comes to information of any kind about future plans, and like an
auto manufacturing company that comes to mind (begins with a "T"), they
will never tell you anything if there is even the slightest chance that
it could cause extra work for them or any kind of embarrassment.
Information is for them to know and you to find out....