Re: [tlug] TLUG spam?

Quoth Jim Tittsler (Thu 2004-09-02 11:18:15PM +0900):

> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:59:56PM +0900, Wayne wrote:
>
> > Just got a spam mail from: tlug@example.com* (replace * with t) with an
> > attachment that didn't look too kosher! Looks like TLUG is one more
> > source of crap I have to worry about!
>
> Look at the headers of the message, paying particular attention
> to the Received: headers.   I strongly suspect the message had
> nothing to do with either TLUG or Josh, but merely chose to forge
> the From: header with that value.

You are wrong, Jim. I now use my <tlug@example.com> address solely for
spamming my fellow TLUGgers.

Sorry that some haruva bot chose my email address to use for spoofing,
Wayne. Consider yourself fortunate that you do not get mail for
<listmaster@example.com>, which I have to monitor on the off chance that some
one will actually need help with the list. It generates between 200-500
spams a day, about %15 of which are currently beating my SpamAssassin
setup.

Spam is a fact of life on today's Internet. Those of us who use email
heavily have to invest time on our filtering setup. I am sorry that TLUG
lacks the stealth technology necessary to avoid the spammers.

--
Josh Glover

Gentoo Developer (http://dev.gentoo.org/~jmglov/)
Tokyo Linux Users Group Listmaster (http://www.tlug.jp/)

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103