Re: [tlug] Potentially Dying Hard Disk Questions [2](Dropping HD's...)

Edward Wright wrote:

>Since my original post was intended as a light-hearted quibble, and
>I don't want to descend into heavy-handed quibbles about definitions,
>terminlogy and usage, I hereby withdraw my post. With only the
>following comment:
><quibble> we're actually talking about "g" as opposed to "G" (the
>universal gravitational constant) - although every hard disk spec
>I've read refers to "G".
></quibble>

And - without understanding the mathematics here at all - I would like
to say that I understand well enough that it's the impact that causes a
deceleration violent enough to do damage.  What I was wondering about
though - was the fact that a small laptop hard drive (less kinetic
energy to stop in a free-fall to earth than a physically larger drive)
falling a mere two feet onto a semi-soft surface (compared to something
like a hardwood floor that is) was still damaged.  Whatever the
measurement - was that a freak instance of not so overly violent
treatment killing the drive, or absolutely to be expected?  (No plans to
use hard drives for balls and deliberately toss them around mind you!)

Lyle