Re: [tlug] Misc. edit questions

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 04:29:35PM -0700, Steve Smith wrote:
> Hi all
>

> > http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html
> I finally got kinput2 working for vi, kterm, openoffice,
> and that is a major breakthrough.
>
> Now for the next step -- I have a file I know has Japanese
> text 'cause I can cat it in kterm and see the Japanese.
>
> File on the file yields: message.eml: news text
>
> How do I get openoffice or vi to recognize this as
> a character set other than 8-bit ascii?

If you open vi in kterm, doesn't it read it correctly?

What O/S and distribution are you using?  This often makes a difference.

Vim, in almost any distro, should be able to read it.  In Slackware, vi
aliases to elvis, in FreeBSD to nvi and in Deb I think it also goes to
nvi.  In RH and many others, it aliases to vim.  (The way to tell is,
for example,)

which vi
/usr/bin/vi
ls -l /usr/bin/vi
/usr/bin/vi -> /usr/bin/vim

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff
and upper with that nancy-boy accent. (everyone looking at him)
You Englishmen are always so... (pauses) Bloody hell! (ticks off
on his fingers) Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks,
oh God! I'm English!
Giles: Welcome to the nancy tribe.