Re: [tlug] Input methods, once more

Quoth Tapio Peltonen (Fri 2004-07-16 12:32:04PM +0300):

> I have debian unstable on my desktop computer, and practically
> everything that even remotely sounds like a japanese input method
> installed.

Examples would help. kinput2 or im-ja? canna or wnn? etc.

Please read Scott's page on Japanese input:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

which is linked off our documents page:

http://www.tlug.jp/docs.php

This page contains a *lot* of information! For example, I found out that
Scott Robbins wrote gjiten, though he claims to not be a coder! :)

(Attention Kitano-san: I edited docs.html.en and docs.html.ja to fix
 this--B0ti is now listed (properly) as the author of Gjiten, the link
 takes you to the Gjiten home page at SourceForge.)

> This is obviously not what I want. I would like a simple kana-to-kanji
> conversion. But where is it configured? Setting the XMODIFIERS
> environment variable doesn't seem to affect anything, which is
> understandable, since firefox is a gtk program.

Firefox is also an X11 program, since GTK is just an abstraction layer
on top of the native X11 libraries (with which only Steve Turnbull and
Jim Breen are man enough to do battle; the rest of us turn tail and run
at the merest *mention* of the fearsome beast). XMODIFIERS can potent-
ially affect *any* X11 program, GTK, KDE, or not.

--
Josh Glover

Gentoo Developer (http://dev.gentoo.org/~jmglov/)
Tokyo Linux Users Group Listmaster (http://www.tlug.jp/)

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103