Re: [tlug] OpenOffice-1.2.2

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 12:47:40PM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>

> >I'm wondering if anyone else has used it, and if my subjective feeling
> >that it opens up far more quickly than previous versions seems to be
> >correct.  I didn't have an older version on any of my Linux boxen, so
> >can't really compare--I don't know if the perceived speed is because of
> >the new version or simply because the Linux version runs better than the
> >FreeBSD one.
> >
> >I'd be idly curious if anyone else shares my impression or if it's due
> >to any of the above mentioned (or other) coincidental factors.
> >

> Now that you mention it - I just tried opening up both 1.1.1 and 1.1.2,
> and 1.1.2 does seem to open quite a bit more quickly (on SuSE 9.1
> Professional)!  Another version I'm testing is a an early test version
> of 2.0 (680), which has one very nice feature lacking in the current
> main release - a very handy and effective Word Count that gives not only
> overall statistics, but also word count for highlighted text.  People
> have been clamoring for this for a long time!  There's a macro available
> for the older versions, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks.  I've tried it on Slack 10.0 and Arch 0.6.  I haven't tried the
test version.

As my main need is simply .doc .xls and .csv compatibility, those new
features you mention are less important to me than they would be to
someone using it constantly.  (Heh, I never even looked to see if there
was ever a word count feature, as I never needed it.)

I could make this email far longer, going into advocacy and all that,
but it's preaching to the choir.  :)  Anyway, I think it's a Good
Thing(TM) that it opens more quickly, as that has always been a
complaint that I've heard.

Thanks again.

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Every time you show up like this, you risk all your parts,
you know that?
Spike: I wouldn't be here if I didn't have a good reason. As
usual, I'm here to help you and I... are you naked under there?
Buffy: Get out.
Spike: No, I'm serious. I mean, not about the naked part...