Re: [tlug] Re: routing question

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:07:38 +0900
Stuart Bouyer <stuart_bouyer@example.com> wrote:

> There are 2 workarounds here
>
> 1) Tell qtopia that the network is up and it will tell the other apps,
> do
>     qcop QPE/Network "up()"
>
> 2) Install dummydev ipk (available from ZSI -

Playing around with these, the qcop command only works for me with
Netfront and doesn't work with the mailer.

The dummydev stuff works nice, but I don't like the fact that it uses my
irda device.
I looked at the scripts in the dummydev package and wonder why such a
compicated workaround is necessary (irda+pppd). Found out that if I kill
pppd, the ppp0 interface stays up. If I do an "ifconfig ppp0 down",
only then will the Qt desktop realize that the connection was brought
down.
BTW, what's the purpose of the dummy module?

I would be happy to see a solution that would allow the Z to see usbd0 as
a proper networking connection.