Re: [tlug] Re: Japanese under Linux

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

>dstibbe wrote:
>

>>>Well, it only makes sense if kinput2 requires the string ja_JP in
>>>LC_CTYPE to function.  And mine does not seem to require that at all.
>>>

>>Huh ...now your saying something completely different  than before .
>>Before you said :
>>"
>>
>>If you set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 then setting LC_CTYPE to ja_JP.UTF-8
>>doesn't make sense (since the encoding already is UTF-8).
>>"
>>

>Well, from a locale point of view LC_CTYPE only sets the character set.
>Since LANG already implies UTF-8 it doesn't make sense.
>_But_ some Software (kinput2 or XIM) may check the string used in
>LC_CTYPE, then it does make sense to specify it even if it is not
>supposed to make a difference.
>

>>Output of my 'date' command :
>>2004綛  7  2 9:46:12 AKDT
>>
>>Doesn't seem like mojibake to me.
>>

>It certainly is mojibake.
>It should look like this:
>2004年  7月  2日 金曜日 13:43:44 CEST

You are right,  my apologees -_-;

But I don't want my locales set to japanese in the first place, so it
really doesn't bother me what kterm will or won't accept.

What I don't get here is the following :
Locales are meant for programs who want to display error messages, menu
items and such in the right language , right ?
All I want is being able to 'input' japanese text. I want all mennus
just to be in english. So why do I, to be able to input japanese, have
to set my locale environment variable LC_CTYPE to japanese ? What does
the whole locale have to do with me inputting  japanese text ? Isn't
that simply incorrect use of locales ??

Greetings,
David