[tlug] Re: Japanese under Linux

dstibbe wrote:

> Why doesn't that make sense? I want all encodings to be UTF-8 so it
> would make sense to specify it as ja_JP.UTF-8 instead of ja_JP.eucJP. It
> is just that some'thing' has to be japanese in order for my kniput2 to
> work . Preferrably I'd set no locales to ja_JP at all, but then my
> kinput2 won't accept japanese chars :S

Well, it only makes sense if kinput2 requires the string ja_JP in
LC_CTYPE to function.  And mine does not seem to require that at all.

But I guess XIM may require ja_JP to be either in LANG or LC_CTYPE.

BTW, for GTK2 apps you may want to have a look at im-ja:
http://im-ja.sf.net/

> kterm doesn't seem to have a problem with it at all.

My kterm has.
Try "LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 kterm", type "date" into it and look at the
mojibake you get.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
Be vigilant!