Re: [tlug] Debian Sarge Beta Installer

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:15:32PM -0700, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 12:16:53PM +0900, Charles Muller wrote:
>
> >The last time I tried it was about four months ago, so my memory is a bit
> >fuzzy, but as I recall, it happened at the point where Sarge installs
> >grub/Lilo. I write this as either/or, because the install would hang up
>
> Oh, it doesn't do that anymore, I guess.  I've never seen anything like
> that.  Grub is the default boot loader now, too.

Y'know, I remember trying it, probably around the time you did--I think
you'd mentioned it to me and I thought it sounded interesting. If you'll
remember (that is Jonathan, not the entire list) I didn't have any luck
with it either--though, like you, I had no trouble with my MBR, but I
believe I chose to skip a boot loader as it was on a multi-OS box.

However, I honestly don't see why folks consider the Debian installer
difficult.  I remember having trouble with it years ago, with some
hardware detection, but if one chooses the 2.4 kernel, it's no harder
than any other curses based installer and better than some--actually, I
think it's probably an easier install than RH 6 whatever's (and 7.x)
curses installer was.  (When did RH make their GUI installer?  I'm
almost sure it wasn't until 6 or 7).

Is it considered difficult simply because there is no GUI?  I could see
it being a bit difficult for a newcomer.

As I type, I remember Jonathan once telling some newcomer to document
what they were doing because they could see things through the
newcomer's eyes. I'm far far far from a guru, but I have, over the
years, gotten used to curses based installations, so maybe I'm missing
the obvious.  I think that Deb's curses based installation is easier
than Slackware's (and, at least with a broadband connection, takes less
time, even considering the configuration done after the reboot).

Err, I think I've wandered off topic enough--oh well, it's late here in
NYC, and I have a splitting headache and can't sleep.  Unfortunately,
the only thing that works is extra strength Excedrin, which has a lot of
caffeine.

Anyway, I didn't like the new Deb installer when I used it either.  :)

One thing, possibly on topic--I remember asking a FreeBSD developer on
IRC why people hated the FreeBSD installer as it seemed straightforward
enough if you're used to curses installations.  He said the dislike was
actually because of the code itself, and I wonder (perhaps a programmer
familiar with Deb's installer can answer this if they see it) if
~that's~ what people mean when they talk about the horrible Deb
installer.

Hrm, somehow, the random Buffy quote seems apropos.

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Hi, for those of you who just tuned in,
everyone here is a crazy person.