Re: [tlug] OT: Please educate me...

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 03:11:38PM +1000, Abe, Rena wrote:

>It's nice to hear that people are using monster.com.  Monster.com is our
>sister company!  (Therefore, when we post job openings on our website,
>they automatically get posted on monster as well...)

We use it, but I'll be honest, a lot of the best candidates are
ones we don't find there.  Why was I using it, then?  I'm not
a good candidate ;-)

Seriously, though, I used it (and got hired) b/c I came back to
California after nine years in Asia and had no network left
here, to speak of.  Therefore, I used every resource available
and monster.com turned out to be the one that worked.

My theory on why we do better elsewhere is simply that
when you put a job on monster.com, there are so many
people that see it, and you can get so hammered with resumes
that it's hard to find the qualified people in that pile, and
many people seem to apply for any job even remotely near
what they have skills in doing.  I don't blame them; if you're
unemployed you might feel desperate and will go after anything.
However it does make them harder to sort.

If I post to a large user group job board, however, I'm
hitting a smaller and more specialized audience.  Indeed,
the problem I found with my recent job posting to a list
was that a number of the people who responded were vastly
over-qualified for the position.  Their skills were fairly
on target, they were just at a level (and probably a salary
level) that went beyond what we needed.

It's been pretty interesting to have you come to TLUG,
Rena.  It's not often we get to have discussions like this
with a professional recruiter who is honestly interested
in who we are and what we're doing here.  OK, it's more than
rare.  It's never happened before in the time I've been a
TLUG member (about 6 years) :-)

Have you ever tried Linux?  If you'd like to, I'm sure some
TLUGgers would be happy to set it up to dual-boot on your
computer if you bring it to a meeting :-)

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9