Re: [tlug] OT: Please educate me...

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:45:12 +1000
"Abe, Rena" <Rena.Abe@example.com> wrote:
> Could you please explain the differences and similarities of Unix and
> Linux?
>
> One of my candidates failed to get into a job interview because he had
> extensive knowledge in Unix, but Linux.  The job required 'Linux', and
> he only had a few years of Linux experience with great deal of Unix
> experience.

That sounds unreasonable, he should have been considered.

In general terms, there is no difference and Linux is generally
considered a version or flavour of Unix. People often write *unix which
means Unix and Linux.

Unix is quite old and owned by companies. Linux was developed as a free
and open version of Unix.

There are some differences between Unix and Linux, but it is very
unlikely to matter to this job. They use the same environment,
programming languages and applications. In my job we have computers
running several versions of Unix and Linux and we work on all of them
without any problem.

Brett