Re: [tlug] Job opportunity

Quoth Abe, Rena (Wed 2004-06-23 06:32:23PM +1000):

> You might think I am not that sharp because I am still sticking around,
> but I am just patient and positive.  I love to think everything
> positively.

Quite the opposite, really. I think I speak for most of us when I say
that we are impressed that you seem to be taking our honest and well-
meaning criticism to heart. Many people would have just sodded off
after the opening salvos, but you stuck around, and stopped top-
posting to boot. Now you just have to learn how to configure Jonathan's
mailer to wrap lines... :-P

> > Stick around.  Get to know us.  Let us get to know you. Maybe even
> > learn a little Linux.  Maybe even learn a lot of Linux and quit
> > using Windows :-)  I'll tell you one thing: a recruiter who ran
> > Debian on her notebook and compiled her own kernels would get Linux
> > people's attention when she showed up at meetings :-)
>
> I have to be honest with you...I felt like I was violating this mailing
> list with recruiter topics that I was thinking of leaving.  This mail
> list is made for Linux topics, right?  But if it is okay for me to stick
> around, then I love to stick around to get to know you better.  Maybe I
> should start learning about Linux a bit more.

I agree with Jonathan, except *I* would only respect you if you ran
Gentoo, instead of Debian! ;) (A joke, of course.)

Seriously, this mailing list is about Linux, but it is also about
people. Like Steve said in his post, TLUGgers (and those we know) have
traditionally been the cream of the hi-tech crop. Hell, we are hanging
out on a Unix mailing list *for fun*, right? From time to time, one
or more of us needs a job, for whatever reason. And I know that we all
feel relieved when someone who was looking posts "Got a job, guys!"
to the list.

If we know and trust you, and you actually help us find gainful and
meaningful employment, you are doing the TLUG community a great
service.

Speaking as Listmaster now, I will allow you to post job openings that
have some relevance to the people on this list (like your previous
posting, actually) as soon as you earn our trust. Which you are well on
the way to doing. As a courtesy to me and the rest of the chaps on this
list, please just run job postings by me (or Jonathan Byrne or Scott
Robbins (if he is still alive ;), if I am not available) before posting
them.

You seem a good sort, Abe-san. Stick around, get to know us, and by
*all* means, come to a nomikai, as Jonathan suggested! :)

Cheers,
Josh

--
Josh Glover

Gentoo Developer (http://dev.gentoo.org/~jmglov/)
Tokyo Linux Users Group Listmaster (http://www.tlug.jp/)

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103