[tlug] Samba and VPN (Was CIFS Problems)

Hello,
I have been trying to solve the following problem since quite long,
finally with the help of David Bloomberg, I've found a solution.

The problem is the following:
Connect to an Active Directory (Windows 2000) Server through a
Linux VPN from a Windows Client.
Windows Client > VPN(Linux)  > Windows2000 server (shared folder)

I wasn't able to connect to a share folder of the AD server. The
server was continually asking for login and password, without letting me
enter.

I though that the problem was in configuring the samba Linux server
to connect to the AD server with the Kerberos credentials. Probably
you need this if you want to connect to AD directly from Linux, but
samba it turned out to be a non-issue in this case.

In my test I used the pptp vpn server.
I downloaded the patch from here: http://www.polbox.com/h/hs001/
and patched the kernel (2.6.4) and pptp.
At the end reading a page  sent me by David and the related links,
http://www.faughnan.com/netbios.html
I started to think that the problem was somehow related to the wins.
So I disabled Samba and set the AD wins in the tcp/ip settings
of the pptp windows client  (also the DNS must be set).
Now It works (at least for the moment)

By now, If anyone has the same problem, I just may suggest
not to play too much with samba,
but instead, to configure the pptp client properly.

Thanks David, thank all

Alex