Re: [tlug] Backing up DVDs

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 06:30:26PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Don't you have any busted CD-Rs for them to play with?

You don't understand how smart our oldest is :-)  She would see us
at the computer, so of course the three things she wanted to
get at most in the world were the keyboard, mouse, and microphone.
This was when she was still too small to crawl, but if you brought
her in range of the desk, lookout! :-) And of course, if you were
using that stuff, she just stare and stare at it.

Her next favorites after that are my wife's cell phone and a POTS phone.
You could give her a telephone toy, but she knew it was bogus and would
go for the real thing.  When she could crawl, that was her primary
objective: to get real stuff.  When my wireless keyboard failed
(I can't help but wonder if she didn't have a hand, or more likely,
a drool) in that somewhere, I bought another kbd and mouse set and gave
the old one to her to play with (she could crawl by then).  I think it
took her all of about five seconds to figure out those weren't controlling
the computer and she still had to get the real ones.  Ditto for the
extra microphone we let her play with.

Now, she's seventeen months old, can name over 30 animals by picture,
knows about 12 letters of the alphabet, can read her name, and can speak
in 5 or 6 word sentences.  If you tell her to go tell something to someone
in another room, she will remember it and go tell them what you told
her.

So I have no doubt that giving her a coaster to play with will not
fool her for long :-)

Our youngest is only five months, and may well turn out the same
way, with such a big sister to show her the way :-)

>although I suspect my daughter has something to do with the mechanical
>failures that plague our tape and DVD players.  ;-)

Uh, yeah, you can count on that :-)  The first thing our oldest figured
out what to do with a computer as soon as she could crawl was reach up
and hit the power or reset button :-)  Before that, she could operate
the remote control for the TV.  I'll never forget the day when she
was about six months old and she was on the bed facing away from me,
kind of towards the computer.  I turned on the TV with the remote and
she didn't turn towards the TV, she turned around and looked at the
remote in my hand. She'd already worked out that relationship quite
well and pretty soon figured out how to turn the TV on and off and
change channels.  This kid is a real tech threat :-)  She's got
me nervous wondering if there is a childproof lock in existence
that she won't be able to defeat :-)

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9