[tlug] Restarting a dead DNS lookup

G'day all,

Greetings from warm old Melbourne, where we are having record
hot days and nights for autumnal April. Maybe Tokyo can ship us
some coolth.

Two questions:

(a) every so often (maybe once every 3 weeks on average) the DNS
support on my RH7.3 system quietly dies. The ISP's DNS servers are
still there, I can still get packets out to hosts I address by IP
address,  /etc/resolv.conf is OK, but I can't resolve any addresses.

Is there anything I can restart  or clear to get it going again?  At
present the only thing I can do is reboot.

(b) I usually keep kterm windows set to "Japanese EUC Mode". I find that
when I happen to view a file is ISO-2022-JP (e.g. read some email or
news), the kterm gets flipped into that mode, and consequently an EUC
file won't display. The only way I can get it back to handling EUC is to
turn the EUC Mode off then on, which is a bore. Does anyone know of a
way of preventing it from locking into ISO-2022-JP mode? Or a simpler
way of getting it back to EUC? (This problem only seemed to happen
around RH7.*  Before then (RH6.2, 5.2, etc. it never happened.)

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 9554