Re: [tlug] Restarting a dead DNS lookup

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:48, Jim Breen wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> (a) every so often (maybe once every 3 weeks on average) the DNS
> support on my RH7.3 system quietly dies. The ISP's DNS servers are
> still there, I can still get packets out to hosts I address by IP
> address,  /etc/resolv.conf is OK, but I can't resolve any addresses.

Does your /etc/resolv.conf refer to the localhost, a dialup or broadband
router or the isp's dns servers?

> Is there anything I can restart  or clear to get it going again?  At
> present the only thing I can do is reboot.

If resolv.conf refers to localhost then you might be running bind's "named" or
similar as a caching nameserver. named probably logs to /var/log/messages or
sometimes /var/log/daemonlog and might says something about why it has
stopped working. The process may even have exited.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/named status might also say something.

If resolv.conf refers to the isp's servers I'm not sure how what you're
describing could happen.

If it refers to a local dns proxying router, then I'd be surprised that a
reboot of the system would help.

-- Sam

Sam Tilders
sam@example.com