[tlug] SuSE Updating / RealPlayer / Etc.

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

> Your questions are painful to read.

That wasn't written to me, but might as well have been!  I'm pretty much in the same boat, and that site looks great!  I think that will have to be my reading material for awhile.  I forced myself to read through a SuSE manual (for 8.1) last year, but didn't get too much out of it while reading it on the train.

Some questions and comments:

I've installed SuSE 9.0 on three machines so far:

1) A dual boot arrangement with XP (I really hate XP, but wanted it on one machine so I could see what it is - it looks to me like they've begun stealing ideas from Linux).  I installed this in English, and have gone back and tried to convert it to Japanese.  I added everything I could find in SuSE related to Japanese and also manually edited the Languages file, so now the root menus are in Japanese.  Today, I tried the updates suggested and now, when I type in cannastat, I get:

Connected to unix
Cana Server (Ver. 3.6)
No clients

I take that to mean that Canna is running, but is not connected to any user (root is also considered a user - albeit a "super" one, right?).  I'll be poking around back through the many e-mails and reading manuals etc., but is there a command or something I do to get that up and running?

2) English install and English language use, so am not attempting to use for Japanese yet.  This machine is working fine in English, but I chose automatic update in the install, and although I was able to update the system in the install and am able to update things manually, the auto-update doesn't seem to work.  As it can be updated, this is not in any way critical - I only mention it in case someone knows something about this issue off-hand.

3) A Japanese from-the-start test install that is working great.  I was pleasantly surprised to have SuSE 9.0 automatically have appropriate drivers for both the video board and sound board - which were added to the machine to update its lower spec on-board video and sound chips.  The only thing with this computer, and this is a general problem affecting all of them - is that I'm unable to listen to the BBC Radio stuff, even though Real Player 8 is on the system (yes, I went through the registration bit and the player itself welcomed me with an audio blurb).  Is there some non-RealPlayer way to listen to things like that?