RE: [tlug] SuSE Updating / RealPlayer / Etc.

BBC only supports the real media format.  There was some previous discussion
on this list about real player and bbc, I think someone actually used to
work for the BBCs Real audio section (so check the archives).  It works fine
on my current Gentoo system at work, and I basically stream Radio1 the whole
workday. The same was true with the Suse 8.2 System that was running on it
before.  It seems though that the Linux version is less error tolerant when
using an http proxy, and the connection often breaks off.  I went to great
pains to try to eliminate the problem, and it got somewhat better after
installing a caching only DNS server on the proxy.  I guess that short
periodic outages can be caused by the dhcp address change of the router.

If you have trouble listening to the bbc stuff I guess its related to your
browser.  The following works for me:

Go to the radio1 homepage and start the BBC Radio player.  On windows this
would already start playing using some dodgy Java Script.  On Linux normally
nothing happens.  But you can see a link that says "trouble listening? Click
here". Do exactly that and then a dialog should open asking you what to do
with the download file.  If you have configured the right helper application
in your browser this step is skipped and realplay is started with the
correct http link.  make sure that your firewall or broadband router is not
blocking the protocol.  Real Audio uses a complex combination of UDP and TCP
so check that your router allows these.

Patrick