Re: [tlug] Re: Fwd: Re: Suse blues-progress?

Tobias Diedrich said:
> paul arenson wrote:

Thank you Tobias.....

First, I have to mention I did not choose the
usen-221x242x10x37 name...This was established (detected?)  by Suse
itself.  I have a fiber optic connection, no visible router (it must be
inside the wall and did not need to configure anything to get the system
started). Internet was automnatically on.  I wonder if that has anything
to do with my problems. (In gnome it tells me to add that name to a file
since gnome sayus it cannot connect, but then I type TRY ANYWAY and it
works In KDE it just works).

>> My current work directory?  I just download them to the desktop and then
>> what do I do? I have not set up any other identities or directories.
>
> In the shell you an see you work directory using "pwd" and usually it's
> also shown in the prompt, which is most often
> "user@example.com:workdirectory$"

Ok...will check tonite....

Anyway, I download to

> One directory - your home directory - is special and is displayed as
> '~' instead of the directory name.  The home directory is usually
> "/root" for the root user and "/home/username" for normal users.

I recall there is a home/arenson and in there I could find my
desktop..(Working from memory as i am not home now).

> For example, your normal unpriviledged username is arenson, your
> computers hostname is "usen-221x242x10x37" (did I mention you chose
> quite a weird hostname?), so after opening Konsole your prompt
> is "arenson@example.com:~>"

Haha-->
SEE ABOVE!

 because you are still in your home
> directory.  You should have a "Desktop" subdirectory in your home
> directory ("ls" will list your directories).

Ok...is my work directory one of the ones you mentioned?   I recall I have
home/arenson/ and then desktop.....

>> I must have two passwords because last night I changed the "root"
>> password,
>> which seems to allow things like updating my system, but for some reason
>> the password to log on to the computer in the first place remains the
>> same.
>
> Yes, each user has his own password.

Interesting in that i was prompted when I installed to enter a username
and password...but I don't recall doing it twice.

or maybe I just assumed it was asking me for the same password...

> As you have to user accounts (priviledged root and unpriviledged arenson)
> you have two passwords (which _should_ be different, this is not
> enforced by the system, but it's a bad idea to have them be the same).

Thanks.....will try to installl the Susue canna updates via the rpm and
Yast and see what happens.

I appreciate the help.  i may not sell my Linux machine and buy a mac
after all!