Re: [tlug] KDE 3.2 in SId, but...

Progress has been made.

I installed Gnome just to have some other desktop environment, and after removing all KDE
stuff yet again, decided to take a visual approach to the problem just in case there was
something I wasn't seeing.  Accordingly, I installed KDE 3.2 again via Synaptic (a pretty
good tool, actually) and while it lost my previous preferences, it more orless works now.

The primary component of "more or less" is the fact that if I log in via kdm, I will never
see anything but the KDE background image (the blue background with the whitish swirls on
it, not the gears). Not even a terminal window.  If I use gdm, however, and select a KDE session,
it will work.  For some as-yet unknown reason, that gets me the background with the gears.

Now, I generally regard gdm as superior to kdm anyway (choosing session and language from the
login screen are nice, and not having a list of usernames there is better for security), but
I'd kind of like to have kdm work, too.

Some people may ask "Why not just use Gnome?"  Well, that menubar-at-the-top thing is
just hideous.  Apparently it has migrated from Ximian Gnome, where it began, into the
main branch (unless it's just a Debianism).  In Gnome 1.x, that stuff was all at the
bottom, where it belongs and where it is in KDE.  Plus, the reason I moved from KDE to Gnome
in the first place (that KDE 3 was such a great leap forward over Gnome) has not been
undone by Gnome 2.4.  Some of the gap may have been closed, but KDE does a much better job
of carrying the term "desktop environment."  Gnome seems to have the extra weight of
a desktop environment without adding the benefits as well as KDE does.  If I didn't use
KDE, I'd probably go all the way back to just X plus Fluxbox or IceWM.

Anyway, progress has been made.  For anyone running Debian Unstable who has not yet moved to
KDE 3.2 it wouldn't hurt to wait for a bit yet :-)

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9