Re: [tlug] Data rewrite technology

>   It isn't necessarily effective
> Shawn>>on IDE or SCSI or Flash or journaling (ext3 for instance) types,
> is it?
Why not?

I just read that:

"Your IDE and SCSI disks may randomly leave recoverable
data around if they hit a block that is iffy and mark it bad before it
fails. Flash file systems are very very likely to leave old data around
but fortunately are much smaller and therefore easy to encrypt or blank
wholesale"

But actually heard they weren't necessarily erased completely before I
read the reason above which makes it seem a less than likely scenerio.

Perhaps its a bit paranoid...

Anyway, 2.6.x is supposed to have better support for encrypted partitions
so maybe that is what I will do for financial data since I do like to use
that ext3.
--
Shawn