Re: [tlug] Data rewrite technology

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:46:28AM +0900, Lyle <Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon> wrote:
Lyle>I have a question that ties in with hard disk security and reliability -
Lyle>or the balance between the two.  I don't know if it's still the case for
Lyle>certain, but with the DOS file system, when you erased a file, it didn't
Lyle>actually delete the whole thing, but only the first part of it, and then
Lyle>the space occupied by the "deleted" file was marked as empty and
Lyle>eventually would get overwritten with new data.  From a security

same, at least with the default file systems and the standard rm command

Lyle>standpoint it was (is?) dangerous, as with the right software you can
Lyle>cull amazing amounts of "deleted" data off of drives.  But - there would
Lyle>seem to be two advantages to doing it that way - higher speed (since the
Lyle>bulk of the data isn't actually deleted, it is nearly instantaneous) and
Lyle>better longevity (the number of times the same magnetic medium can be
Lyle>written and written is not infinite).  I bring this up, as I just
Lyle>deleted two 60MB files on a flash memory card and it took quite a long
Lyle>while (compared to W2K anyway).

Too many missing factors to diagnose ..

Lyle>When deleting in Linux, is the
Lyle>operation basically what some software refers to as "shredding"?

again, false for 'rm'command

man shred

//mauro//