Re: [tlug] Japanese input in aterm

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:46:35AM -0800, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:12:57PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> >Heh.  `sid' is not boring.
>
> I run Sid on my Thinkpad and my desktop machine both, and everything
> pretty much just works.  I'll grant that I don't stress the system
> hard, I just use it, but brokenness has been both minimal and minor,
> as well as uncommon.

Yes, I cited you on this.  More stable than many release versions of
things.

> I've had so little need for Japanese since I left Japan that while I
> have all the parts installed, I have never actually even tried them.
> But it's Debian, so I'm sure that if I did, they would Just WorK.

Several test installs back that up.  Yes, it does Just Work, though you
need to to apt-get install localeconf first.  (Assuming you didn't pick
Japanese in tasksel.  I've never done that because it installed too many
things I didn't want or use.  Since it's Deb, I'm sure there's a way
around that, but it was so easy to just install the 4 things I needed
that I never looked into it.)

One does need the ml version of rxvt (or aterm, the original subject
line) but, as usual with Debian, it just works.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

 Colonel: Every inch of this installation is under constant, 24-hour
surveillance.
 Willow: Including the secret lab?
 Colonel: Everything! (pause) What secret lab?