[tlug] Japanese input in aterm

Recently, I began using aterm and subjectively, it seemed slightly
faster than rxvt.

This was in FreeBSD, which has a /usr/ports/japanese/aterm port.  I
don't use the eyecandy stuff.

Hitting shift space with my usual langx script resulted in what I've
come to expect from xterms that handle Japanese--I get a hirgana
slightly below where I'm typing and then choose kanji. No problem.

Next, I tried building it in Arch Linux.  After reading the
README.config I chose --enable-kanji.  However, when called it with my
langx script, I get a white box towards the bottom of the screen where I
can input the kanji.  However, after inputting kanji nothing appeared in
aterm.

I then did a bit more experimentation. In Gentoo it worked, and looking
at the Gentoo and FreeBSD makefiles, I saw there was a Japanese patch.
(In Gentoo, it works as it does in FreeBSD, the input selection
appearing slightly below the line in the terminal)

I added that in Arch Linux, however I still got the white box
underneath that allowed me to input kanji, but didn't put that kanji in
the terminal itself after I hit enter.

In general, I usually just set LC_CTYPE to Japanese.  I tried setting
LANG and LC_ALL as well, but still got the same result.

(I got the same result in Slackware and NetBSD, however, in both cases,
I didn't apply the Japanese patch.)

Next, I tried Debian, choosing aterm-ml.  In this case, I get the white
box below the terminal again, however, when I input Japanese, it does
show up in the aterm.

I'm not sure what to research next. I've looked at the Makefile and
config files, but I'm not a programmer and not sure what I'm looking
for.  (Hrrm, is there a IANAP acronym?).

I also looked at the patch itself, but it was a bit beyond my abilities
to figure out what it does.  At any rate, as I said, in Arch, though it
applied, it didn't work.

I tried googling for aterm
japanese input but didn't find anything of use.  (My Japanese reading is
weak, and I confined myself to English pages--perhaps the answer is out
there in a Japanese page).

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to what I'm missing.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: I'll have you know that I have very, um, many
relaxing hobbies.
Buffy: Such as?
Giles: Well, um...I enjoy cross-referencing.
Buffy: Do you stuff your own shirts or do you send 'em out?