Re: [tlug] Who do you recommend for Business Desktop?

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:46:04AM +0900, Thomas Savarimuthu wrote:

>I use Thinkpad 570E.  Since i have max memory of 384MB, i am saved.

I have 256 on mine, that may be the limit (I've never checked; it had that
much when I bought it), but I've never had a problem with it running
Debian and KDE.  The machine came with Win98SE, so I partioned the disk
(Windows is rarely booted, I'll tell you) and installed Debian Unstable
in the larger part.  The install was totally smooth, no problems at all.
I love Thinkpads! :-)  One of my favorite features of the Thinkpad line
is the lack of a trackpad (although I guess they are moving in that direction).
I hate trackpads, and would rather have anything else, even a popsicle
stick wedged into the keyboard :-)

I used to have an old DEC HiNote Ultra (486-75) that I left behind when
I left Japan.  It had a trackball positioned in the style of the
old Powerbooks.  Marvelous machine.  So thin and light and stylishly
designed that it would not have looked out of place on the shelf of
a computer store in 2002 when I parted with it.  It could only do
640 x 480 graphics, but it ran Linux perfectly and you could run X
on it, although a bit sluggishly.  And it managed all that in 24 meg of
memory (maxed out).  Of course, you wouldn't want to try using KDE
or Gnome :-)

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9