Re: [tlug] Email Backup with Exim

    Jim> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 08:41:37PM +0500, A. Sajjad Zaidi
    Jim> wrote:

    >> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:15:57PM +0900, Jim Tittsler wrote:

    >>> Also be warned that depending on jurisdiction there may be
    >>> laws governing taking the copies, user notification, and/or
    >>> retention timeframes.

    >> Might it still be an issue if the server and premises belonged
    >> to the person making the decision?

    Jim> IANAL.  I just know that every time the subject of the server
    Jim> copying mail comes up on the Exim mailing list, someone from
    Jim> the UK chimes in with the regulations that affect them.

IANAL, either, but remember that according to the relevant
international treaties copyright belongs to the author until s/he says
otherwise.  I think that puts paid to the notion that traffic crossing
a server you own is yours, unless Pakistan is not a signatory.

Obviously when sending email an implicit license to make copies
necessary to transmit the email to destination is granted.  In the US,
I _think_ that (still) means that if you can show that the purpose of
the copies you are making is to ensure reliability and security, _and_
privacy is protected, you're probably OK.  ISTR (and Jim's comment
indirectly confirms) that the UK (and the EU generally is probably
just as bad) has specific regulations governing what "mail
reliability" might cover.