Re: [tlug] Email Backup with Exim

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:15:57PM +0900, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> The easiest way would be to have a system filter with an
> 'unseen' delivery to a file/pipe/user.  (You will probably
> want to make sure it is bracketed by an 'if first_delivery' so
> you don't get a copy with each retry.)

I'll give this method a try now that I know shadow_transport works.

> I think shadow transports only work for local transports.
>
> See the Exim manual 42.9 "Taking copies of mail".

That's right. Shadow transport is working fine, but only for local
transports.

> You are also going to have to make it difficult for users to
> route around the outgoing MTA.  :-)

I don't think that's of much concern, but I could drop/redirect all
outgoing smtp connections with iptables if the client requires it.

> Also be warned that depending on jurisdiction there may be laws
> governing taking the copies, user notification, and/or
> retention timeframes.

It's only for Pakistan where practically, the only law is "if nobody
finds out, it's legal". Still, I like to be on the safe side so will
check it out.

Might it still be an issue if the server and premises belonged to the
person making the decision?

Thanks,
--
A. Sajjad Zaidi