Re: [tlug] EMailClients/BackingUpEMailFiles

BTW, when you are replying to someone and continuing the same thread
(like here, for instance), it is considered normal to:

1) Use some quoting mechanism.  Most commonly a greater-than sign: >.
It may be embellished with the OP's initials or name, etc., but a
bare > is most accepted and easiest to deal with in long threads.

2) Keep the same subject.  Change the subject when it really is a new
thread, not when it is a reply to an existing one.

BTW, is your space bar broken? (Hint: what's wrong with your Subject?)

Generally, a reply to a thread should look like this one.  Context quoting,
> to indicate quoted text, Subject not changed (if you feel the need to
change the subject, then a new thread is warranted, not a reply to an existing
one; this is a reply to an existing one).  Print out this reply and frame
it ;-)

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 11:46:36AM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

>I'm using Mozilla 1.6, and I just went to <View> and tried a sort by
>thread - yikes!  From "pytheon development" to "SevenFiles...".  Ah....

Ah, you weren't using a threaded view.  That makes it pretty hard to follow
a topic.  Now that you are, you do indeed see what the complaint was about :-)

>chronological order.  To keep track of things, I've created a byzantine
>filing system.......

I'll bet :-)

>single (rather large) text file.  Is there a way to do the same sort of
>thing with Mozilla?  It didn't seem to work when I tried it.  Also, with

I'm sure there is, either exploring the menus or (gasp!) reading the manual will
probably reveal it.  I don't use Mozilla so can't give any particular details.
If you're a Mozilla fan, you might also want to take a look at Thunderbird,
their new mail client.  I use it at work on Win XP, and while it still has
a few stability issues (it's only at version 0.5), it's pretty good.  I also
use their new browser (renamed yet again, to Firefox) on Windows.

On KDE, I use Konqueror (it has the most fine-grained security controls of
any browser I've tried and is fast, too), and on my notebook I'm using
Kmail rather than mutt (mostly just so that if some Windows user sees me
using Linux on my notebook and is curious, I won't scare them off with a
text-mode mail client :-) ).

>Any suggestions as to the best e-mail client to use?

Ask 10 people, you'll get 10 answers.  Well, around here, you might get
five or less.  Mutt is popular amongst experienced *nix users and many people
on TLUG, myself included, use it.  Kmail is a decent GUI mail client and is
part of KDE.  Sylpheed and Balsa are good, and if you need something that is
a workalike for Outlook (only better), take a look at Evolution.  If you're
interested in Emacs, Emacs and Xemacs both provide several options for mail.
Pine is also an old standy, but I think it's rather falling out of use these
days.  It was my first Linux mail client, before I switched to mutt.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9