Re: [tlug] Is linguistics OT at all?

>>>>> "jb" == Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> writes:

    jb> On Thursday 12 February 2004 03:54 pm, Shawn wrote:

    >> I have a MA in Linguistics

    jb> No kidding?  I did my BA in Linguistics (UCSD)

Don't forget Simon, and then I just wrote a batch of reccs to lx PhD
programs for the hottest programmer I know.

    jb> and like you, wish I had some formal CS background

Why?  I don't think you're missing anything; all the best
professionals I know (with less than PhDs) are self-trained---it all
goes obsolete faster than Linus can turn out kernels, you know.

So decide what you want to know about, find a project that uses that
technology, and dig in.  Or just work on one of the big platform
projects (X?Emacs has some good people---_much_ better than me, if
that gives you some idea; Python probably has the best development
process in the business, and with Zope they've got one of the best
businesses in development---hard combo to beat), they do everything.

Unless you want to muck with the math, which I love, but most people
(including the developers I know) detest.

    jb> Phonology was my thing

Ah, that explains your reproductivity!  Phonologists are great
lovers, even after they get promoted to dept chair.  ;-)