Re: [tlug] Enterprise Linux Support

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:34:19PM -0500, Scott wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:30:54PM +0900, Alain Hoang wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 2004, at 4:04 PM, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> >
> > >Debian users probably come from another distro and that most who do
> > >not are probably coming from some other flavor of *nix.  This means
> > >that
> > >

> > 	On reflecting on this observation that seems about right.   I had
> > started
> > using Redhat but quickly switched to Debian (and FreeBSD) when I
> > started.  But that's only me talking :-)
> >
> > >The way I think the Linux market will shake out is
> > >that Debian will be dominant among binary-based distros,
>

> The only contender that I've seen--and not sure it could be considered
> one--is Arch Linux. Althoug still new, and with growing pains
> (especially since a recent favorable review on distrowatch.com) its
> binary package management--usually with excellent dependency
> management--is reminiscent of a bleeding edge Debian--the creator made
> it for fun, but it's becoming popular. Oddly enough, often compared to
> Gentoo rather than Deb, though I consider it far more Debian-esque to
> coin a phrase.

I wanted to clarify one point in my previous post--Arch reminds me of
Debian because it is doing an excellent job of handling binary
packages--however, it is still at version 0.6 and probably not ready for
mission critical production servers, though I've used it on non-mission
critical servers without any problems.

It certainly is nowhere near Debian in tested stability, user base,
amount of packages and many other things--I just think it ~may~ become
one of the next major contenders.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was
actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at
Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours
watching my hand move.