Re: [tlug] Enterprise Linux Support

On Feb 12, 2004, at 4:04 PM, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Debian users probably come from another distro and that most who do
> not are probably coming from some other flavor of *nix.  This means
> that

	On reflecting on this observation that seems about right.   I had
started
using Redhat but quickly switched to Debian (and FreeBSD) when I
started.  But that's only me talking :-)

> The way I think the Linux market will shake out is
> that Debian will be dominant among binary-based distros,

	One other thing to also keep in mind is that Debian's strong stance on
being free (in the financial sense) makes it really easy for someone
with time to pick up without being pestered continuously to buy
service for 'y' or a new distro bundle on CD that costs almost as much
as Wind0ze for each major upgrade number.  I know you can get
almost any of the distros off the 'Net as well but it seems since most
of
the other distros have a stronger financial incentive to coax you into
buying something from them whether it be a CD with a box, the
ability to download upgrades, or some type of support service.
	Although, from my experience of running Debian for awhile
you really need a decent net connection to really take advantage of
what Debian offers.   One of these days I'll bother to burn a whole CD
set from Debian and try living with just the CDs for awhile.

> Gentoo will
> be dominant among source-based distros,

	Is there even any competition with Gentooi the source-based distros
for Linux?  I don't think I've really heard of many other source-based
distros
except Gentoo.   Then again I stop trying to pay any attention to new
distro
announcements until about a year after the announcement to see if it's
still even alive these days.

"My good friend, every profession requires effort
and devotion and practice."
-- advice to the young Perceval [de Troyes 1190]