Re: [tlug] [Ad ministrivia] This is a LUG, not a beerhall

Please make any replies to tlug-admin@example.com, not the main list.

Speaking in my official capacity as a list moderator:

On Thursday 12 February 2004 11:51 am, David Oftedal wrote:

> I disagree.

Comments that [cw]ould be taken as sexual harassment in the workplace are not
appropriate to this list.  The listmaster has spoken in his official
capacity, and that is that.

>I don't see why a Linux-related mailing list shouldn't be
> shaped by the very people that use it.

It was.  We who shape the list and set the policy are the ones who have:

A) Paid our dues (which you haven't) over the years we have been in TLUG;
B) Been appointed to do so.  That makes it not only the right of the
listmaster and co-moderators to act when list policy is seriously violated,
but our obligation.

List policy, and how that policy is set, was hammered out long ago, as the
result of a conflict that came near to destroying TLUG.  What you seem to be
suggesting is that the list should be a free-for-all, with the only standard
of appropriateness being what the poster considers to be appropriate.  That
is not going to happen.

> list, though, is referring to others as coarse buffoons

Three questions:

1) Was it coarse?
2) Would a reasonable person think it objectionable/buffoonery?
3) Was the listmaster speaking in his official capacity (= Administrative)?

The answer to all three of these is "yes" and Gavin has apologized. It is
finished.

> If the goal of this mailing list is to seem androgynous

!offensive to women != androgynous.

Neither the listmaster nor the moderators are quick to wield the rod of
authority (I can't remember how long it's been since I've posted in my
official role), but do so when it is necessary and appropriate.  It was
certainly appropriate in this case.

Jonathan Byrne
TLUG Co-moderator