Re: [tlug] rf noise

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:02:48PM +0900, Brett Robson wrote:

>The only thing I can think of is sheilding case, but how?

Well, if you're really serious, look into Tempest gear :-)

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci522583,00.html

Interesting aside: I once saw somebody selling a Tempest Sparc 2 on
Ebay a few years ago.  Bid was closing in on $1000.  It would have been
a neat toy, but not justifiable even if I could have afforded it at the time.
Which isn't to say I could afford it now, either ;-)

However, if you open up even a regular old Sparc 2, you'll see that inside
the cover it has metal sheeting which I presume to be there for shielding
puposes.  You'd probably want something like this for our home
studio, but retrofitting it to a case at all, let alone well, would
require a lot of work and/or expense.

Rearranging your equipment is another area to consider.  You need to
be near the keyboard, mouse, and monitor, obviously, but if you don't
need to be within reach of the case itself, get it farther away. Use
long keyboard and mouse cables and move it to the end of the keyboard,
mouse, and monitor cables.  That will get you away from the source of
most of the interference.

You can also buy cases that claim to be electromagnetically shielded.
How well they are shielded is something I can't comment on, but they
claim to be.  Googling for electromagnetically shielded atx case should
get you some idea of what's out there.

You might also want to post on some music-related news groups and see
what techniques and/or case brands people there have had good luck with.

Or just wrap your case in several centimeters of aluminum foil ;-)

Jonathan

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9