[tlug] Vector Linux

From time to time, as I'm sure it does for all, I'm asked for
recommendations for a beginner.

Like many on this list, I've become a bit unenamored of RH.  That used
to, back in the 7.x days, impress me as striking an excellent balance
between enough GUI tools for the newcomer and making it easy to get
under the hood (as well as some very good online getting started
guides--hope they're still there.)

Gentoo strikes me as a bit much for the beginner, although I must say
once installed, it "just works."  Lately haven't had any emerges die out
at all, and if you, for example, install opera then install java and
open a java page, it works.  No muss fuss or bother.

I could go on with my list and why various distros, much as I like them
have drawbacks for the novice, but anyway, Vector, which I played with
recently, based on Slackware, seems to strike that balance that I
thought RH 7.x had.

So, I'm just wondering if others have played with it and their
impressions. Since I'm no longer a complete novice (Jonathan, remind me
to write  you privately how I almost locked myself out of a router
today, forgetting syntax) :) it's difficult for me to be completely
objective about it. (For example, with Vector, I didn't play with the
GUI tools so don't know how effective they really are for the newcomer.

Thanks for any feedback.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Hey, I know! Why don't you kill them?
Giles: I'm a Watcher, I haven't the skill.
Buffy: Oh, come on. A stake through the heart, a little sunlight.
It's like falling off a log.