Re: [tlug] RE: getting back on track [ was RE: introductions ]

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:57:43AM +0900, Alfred Rodriguez wrote:

> yeah... i installed Lindows moments ago - and god, i guess i would
> classify it more as bloatware than anything else. "so slow" to say the
> least. i mean, everything that what makes linux Linux is all hidden
> behind the GUI.

So the L in Lindows actually stands for Luser? Thought so.

> is that so...
> when i was searching the net for the various distributions available,
> TurboLinux is most widely-used in Japan and China... it couldn't be
> dying, could it?

It *was* most widely-used in Japan and China. There hasn't been any
major news concerning TurboLinux for quite a while now.

> as for Mandrake - it seems like a pretty good system, with all the
> reviews ive been reading on the net. or maybe it is more of a desktop
> system, then?

After being duped 3 times, the latest being just last month, I've put
Mandrake on my NTUMLD list (never touch unless matter of life & death).
Each time I heard good reviews and recommendations for Mandrake only to
be disappointed by buggy or incomplete software. Their philosophy seems
to be, "put in everything that looks like candy and hope some of it
will work".

Although some others have expressed similar thoughts on Fedora, I've
been using it both at work and at home and can't think of anything to
complain about (except the broken gui package manager which I wouldn't
use anyway).

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
Sr.System Administrator