Re: [tlug] Red Hat Linux end-of-life

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 12:52, Tony Laszlo wrote:
> With Debian you will probably be happier with the software
> updating system and "free" atmosphere, whether you stay with
> the stable branch or move to "unstable." In particular, I
> think you will prefer debs to rpms. With RH you will
> probably be happier with the tools that detect/recognize
> the hardware. Might want to keep a RH CD around, just for
> that purpose.

How do recent versions of RH compare with Knoppix for hardware
detection.  I couldn't get the box set of Redhat Advanced Server edition
to install on a system at work even though it had all required drivers.
The current Knoppix detected all hardware on the 6 systems I have tried
it on.  The only one it failed on was a CyrixInstead 6x86L with the
comma bug.  I would have to say if you are new to debian or even
GNU/Linux try Knoppix.

Edward