Re: [tlug] Red Hat Linux end-of-life

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:01:10 +0900 (JST)
Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com> wrote:

> So now, as a Red Hat user, I am going to have to make a major
> decision--between following along with Red Hat in their new course, or
> taking this opportunity to perhaps try another distro. I am thinking
> that at this point, I may have built up enough Linux skills to give
> Debian a shot. I would be very happy if I could hear from anyone who has
> a significant amount of experience with both Red Hat and Debian who
> might be able to outline some of the differences in terms of demand in
> technical skills for handling the two systems.

Charles,

I don't think it will be any problem for you switching to Debian if you
can get yourself familiar with the differences in a few days, mainly the
package management system. Of course at the beginning you need to tweak
things and install packages that you need, but that should be no problem.
Especially for somebody who has learned to live in the kitchen sink (err,
emacs) almost full time. For this I really respect you.
Anyway, the only part debian is lacking is support for more filesystems
(xfs, reiser, etc) in the installer. Once you are done with the initial
hard part, I'm sure you won't regret that you switched.