Re: [tlug] Redhat

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:38:38PM +0200, Ulrich Plate wrote:
>
> >FreeBSD still gives me the creeps
>
> What don't you like about it?

No, I love it! I'm just intimidated by its clinical purity, as opposed to the
merrily shrubby underwood in Linux. I feel like toggling options and
kernel configurations could make the beasdie poke me in the nose with
his trident... :)

> >months of choking dhclients, all of a sudden my Netgear MA401 WLAN
> >card
>
> What chipset is in that?  I just got a notebook, need to get an
> 802.11b card, prefer one that works with airsnort.

Prism 2.5, known to work with Airsnort. My problem was only related to
WEP in our homegrown office WLAN setup. The card was always flawlessly
initialised in FreeBSD just like in Linux, but the ASCII-to-hex-'n-back
conversion of the WEP keys was faulty until a few CVSUPs ago. Something
to do with different chipsets in the card and our access point, I
believe, because an older Lucent card had no such problems in FreeBSD.
Never fully understood what happened, and now that it works I couldn't
possibly care less... :)

Cheers
Ulrich Plate