Re: [tlug] Redhat

David Oftedal wrote (in reply to Scott Robbins):

> Anyone who likes FreeBSD and Linux might be interested in trying
> Gentoo too, though. It's Japanese support isn't that bad either, and
> once you get all those pesky truetype fonts working it even looks
> pretty.

You're definitely barking up the wrong tree here:
http://www.tlug.jp/m17n, 4th link from the top... Arch is only Scott's
latest fad. :)

Our indisputably guruesque sysadmin here at the chateau [1] has Free- or
OpenBSD on all of the important machines, but for his own desktop he
switched to Mandrake 9.1 shortly after it came out a few months ago, and
hasn't looked back much to his countless years of running RedHat. It is
true that he injected a development kernel as soon as the normal
installation was over, so I don't think he suffers much from overpatched
Drakisms. But I guess that means *some* old hands do appreciate urpmi
and the morbid charm of the Penguin Liberation Front. It was me who
moved to Gentoo from Mandrake, and I'm the amateur around here...

FreeBSD still gives me the creeps, and the fact that I'm only using it
on a Vaio notebook doesn't make things much easier. Fortunately,
-CURRENT has this very pleasant tendency to fix itself over time. After
months of choking dhclients, all of a sudden my Netgear MA401 WLAN card
now speaks WEP with an Orinoco access point. I swear I haven't changed
anything manually, I'm even running GENERIC kernels. All I ever did was
cvsup'ing a couple of times a month. Yesterday Xfree 4.3 compiled for
the first time after a long, tragic history of unknown build problems,
and Opera starts without bus errors and exits without core dumps. Go
figure.

Cheers
Ulrich Plate

[1] Offering my current whereabouts as a venue for a TLUG-at-large
meeting anytime: http://www2.gol.com/users/plate/kransberg.jpg, 40 km
from Frankfurt airport.