Re: [tlug] Redhat

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:38:38PM +0200, Ulrich Plate wrote:
> David Oftedal wrote (in reply to Scott Robbins):
>

> You're definitely barking up the wrong tree here:
> http://www.tlug.jp/m17n, 4th link from the top... Arch is only Scott's
> latest fad. :)

(modest bow)  I have ADD, what can I say.

> FreeBSD still gives me the creeps, and the fact that I'm only using it
> on a Vaio notebook doesn't make things much easier. Fortunately,
> -CURRENT has this very pleasant tendency to fix itself over time. After
> months of choking dhclients, all of a sudden my Netgear MA401 WLAN card
> now speaks WEP with an Orinoco access point. I swear I haven't changed
> anything manually, I'm even running GENERIC kernels. All I ever did was
> cvsup'ing a couple of times a month. Yesterday Xfree 4.3 compiled for
> the first time after a long, tragic history of unknown build problems,
> and Opera starts without bus errors and exits without core dumps. Go
> figure.

I never did get 4.x working on a Vaio notebook, had to go to CURRENT.
Actually, the 5.x tree is now, although not considered stable, getting
pretty good and I'm using it on two non-critical servers, as well as all
my workstations. Hardware support has improved.

Core dumps schmore dumps--hey, it works, doesn't it?  Actually, I've
switched to their linux-opera-7 which does seem faster than firebird and
works with java relatively well. (Necessary at work to manage a Nortel
switch).

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

 Cordelia: What's going on? Oh god, is the world ending? I have to
research a paper on Bosnia for tomorrow, but if the world's ending,
I'm not gonna bother.