Re: [tlug] CrossOver

Scott Robbins wrote

> > At a risk of offending those of you that are Linux diehards I wondered
> > if anyone has experience of CodeWeavers' Crossover Office. I have a home
> > PC operating under Mandrake 9.1 and no Windoze partition so Win4lin is
> > useless, my wife is getting on my case as the Linux software just isn't
> > the same as what she is used to at work, I thought it might be easier to
> > invest in something like crossover rather than retrain my wife!
>
> I tried the trial version--you can download a trial version, 30 or 60
> days, I forget which, that is fully functional--you'll have to fill out
> some stuff and give a valid email address.

I had the same experience. Eventually the tech people admitted that
Japanese is not supported.

> > PC operating under Mandrake 9.1 and no Windoze partition so Win4lin is
> > useless,

Why does that matter? Win4Lin installs in the Linux partition by
default. You can install it a Windows partition if you want, but that's
much more complicated.

I don't use either Crossover or Win4Lin at all any more, but I did at
one time, and for the price you pay, I think Win4Lin is a better
deal. With Crossover, all you  can run is a couple of MS apps. With Win4Lin
you can run anything that works in Windows 98.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@example.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary [http://www.acmuller.net]
H-Buddhism List Editor [http://www.h-net.org/~buddhism/]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787