Re: [tlug] Linux vs Mac - the fight for....

Doug Lerner <doug@example.com> wrote:
>> There is a general feeling that Linux is increasing in use as a desktop
>> system and Mac OS is declining. That is true, but the question is when will
>> Linux overtake Mac OS as number 2, behind Windows?
>>
>> Some people say next year. But if you look at some interesting stats, it may
>> have already happened.
>>
>> Linux is about at a 2% market share. Mac is considered to be somewhere in
>> the 2-3% range now, down from 3.5% in January and 3-5% last year.
>>
>> That alone is a frightening statistic. It represents something like a 50%
>> loss in market share over one year!

The report by the Forrester group in March this year (on the RH site)
has some other interesting stats. It investigated sites considering
moving to Linux for server use. A remarkably high proportion of these
were currently Sun/AIX/HPUX sites. I don't think Linux is posing a huge
commercial threat to MS, I don't know if it is to Apple, but I am sure
it is threatening the continued existence  of OSs like Solaris and AIX.

We may be heading towards a world where above the embedded systems there
is one processor architecture (Intel) and two OSs (Windows and Linux).

Jim

--
Jim Breen (j.breen(a)csse.monash.edu.au  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298