Re: [tlug] Howto on Gentoo i18n

>If you want to improve on it, the first thing would be to change your
>attitude toward the reader and stop treating him/her like an idiot. (e.g.
>my_stupid_program)

If you feel offended, please stick to the other howto in the link you
gave me.

>>Yes, there are other servers and frontends. Do we care? No.
>>

>Some people do care. Your title says "Internationalization in Gentoo" and
>you write about input methods and such but then suddenly you don't care.
>Somewhat bizarre.
>For example this guy did care:
>http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~kdeeter/gentoo-jap-guide/
>You could provide a link to the above and maybe some other related pages.

What I meant whas I don't care. The other interfaces are usually old or
cost money. My howto doesn't hand out money.

> This is not really true. You forgot to talk about LC_CTYPE, because this
>
>is the one mostly related to fonts and mojibake. And some people will want
>English menus with Japanese support (input/output). You might want to talk
>about this too.

Some programs don't respect LC_CTYPE when you set LANG to English.
LC_ALL and LANG are a better combination in my experience. So I left
LC_CTYPE out on purpose.

Thanks for the tip about the other howto though. I might look at it if I
feel I'm missing something.

-David

--
http://home.no.net/david/